A House in Lisbon tells the history of the building situated on the Rua do Sacramento à Lapa, 21, the current headquarters of the Luso-American Development Foundation. It is a history of the people who have lived in this house since 1757, imprinting it with their mark and their memory. Built by João Fernandes de Oliveira, who for many years held the Brazilian diamond contract, the house was subsequently occupied by the Viscounts of Santarém and Beire, the apostolie nuncio Cardinal Di Pietro, and a host of other personalities who afford us a vivid glimpse into Lisbon's history during the past two hundred years. In addition, research on the house has made it possible to trace the urban development of the surrounding neighbourhood, Lapa, contributing surprising elements to our understanding of the period dominated by the Marquis of Pombal.
The struggle between the Trinitarian sisters and the Absolutist Power sheds new light on the various twists of a reality still shrouded in myth.
Published by Luso - American Development Foundation, Portugal, 1997
|Estimate shipping price||Air mail||Standard|
|Rest of the World||£30,00|